LEADFREE Archives

January 2005

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Danielle Casha <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 20 Jan 2005 13:31:33 -0500
Charles,

I was with you up until the fourth paragraph.  However, turning entire
towns into toxic waste dumps under the guise of "recyclable goods" is not
acceptable anywhere, even in  "big" countries such as China.
 Unfortunately, there are two basic ways to recycle e-waste: a) properly
and b) cheaply.

Until we can come up with a way that is both, it would appear that our
governments will allow these goods to be shipped to third world countries
that are desperate for any means of income, despite the health risks.   We
here in North America may feel good about "recycling" our e-waste, but
chances are extremely good our e-waste is indeed winding up in dumps.
   Our governments offer little more than a feel-good option of disposing
of electronic goods.  We may think we are doing a great thing by dropping
off our old computers etc, to a recycling depot, but legislation is such
that most of it gets shipped overseas to third world countries, where there
is no legislation outlining the manner with which the raw materials are
obtained.

But, as they say, ignorance is bliss.

Danielle