LEADFREE Archives

May 2006

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Joe Fjelstad <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Thu, 11 May 2006 12:24:34 EDT
Thanks Dave,

I quickly found the operative phrase from the iNEMI  release...

"Although it is not possible to guarantee that whiskers will not grow  under
field conditions...

In the spirit of full disclosure, it also goes on to say...

...the mitigation practices detailed in JP002, combined with the test and
acceptance criteria outlined in JESD201, form the cornerstone of a three-fold
strategy of mitigation practices, process controls and verification testing
that  helps to reduce the risks of tin whiskers. This  standard set of testing
requirements and associated acceptance criteria are  crucial to users, who want
to ensure product reliability, as well as to suppliers, who can now proceed
with one set of criteria  to test and evaluate their finishes rather than trying
to meet varying  requirements from multiple customers.”

Joe Smetana (the tin whisker task group chair  quoted) is based on my
interactions with him in the past, an honest  individual and an excellent and
talented engineer and when he says it is  not possible the guarantee that tin
whiskers will not grow, I believe him.  Mitigation only the committee reports and
then with no guarantee.

Unfortunately what was not said (or not allowed to be said?...perhaps it is
in the report) is that by using lead in the solder, it is possible to vastly
improve mitigation of such risk to the point where it is vanishingly small, if
 not precluded altogether.

Who was it that decided that 0.1% was the number again? What was their
reasoning? Why not 1%?  Why not 0.01%?  Why remove lead from solder at  all? What
science was used?

No matter how much lipstick one puts on this beast, it is still a  beast. I
liken lead-free to a modern day "Golden Calf",  which the industry now
dutifully bows to and worships but like  the biblical counter part, it is no less a
false god when it comes  to protection of human health and the environment.

What is worse is that we are increasingly appearing to be an  industry are
sheep willingly following the blind shepherds of EU  parliament... except
perhaps for the Swiss watch makers that is, whose  timing was excellent (and will
now likely remain so... ;-)

Hmmmm.. I think I am going to go buy a Swatch so I can make certain I have
the correct time after July 1st rolls around...  ;-)

Very best,
Joe