LEADFREE Archives

January 2005

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
MA/NY DDave <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Fri, 14 Jan 2005 00:24:15 -0600
Hi Dan, Ms Good, IPC LF Listservers,

Dan, I am going to break up your short concise note.

>Interesting interpretation.
>However, article 11 (2) only addresses the date code requirement.

Dan, Read article 11 (2) again. It clearly states more than a date code is
needed. i.e it indicates another symbol is needed.
"Further-more - - - " and that "unequivocally" word

<Article 10 addresses the wheelie bin and clearly states:
>....States shall ensure that producers appropriately mark electrical and
>electronic equipment put on the market after 13 August 2005 with the symbol
>shown in Annex IV

OK Dan, I am losing to YOU BIG TIME on Article 10 (3).
 It seems that CENELEC EN 50419 isn't the be all and end all of WEEE
labelling and that everything really comes back to this WEEE Directive and
Article 10 not 11. Recycling centers covered under 11 and by EN 50419 seem
to be helping them do a better job recovering WEEE.

DANG I guess this means we need this marking symbol on all products. When
the product is too small or ??? it goes on the packaging.

Recycling in Massachetts (USA-MA) is really horrible. The best of the best
list their success at about <37% and the government officials have great
difficulty moving the citizenry to recycling. I wonder about Europe..

So this might be why, for certain product EN 50419 exists.