LEADFREE Archives

May 2006

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
John Burke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Mon, 8 May 2006 14:04:33 -0700
Wow,

sounds like I should run a page on the Pushback web site on these issues. If
anyone has any inputs, views or links on the exploitation of people in the
electronics industry either through mining, cheap labor practices, or
working environments (such as e-waste "recycling" dumps, please send the
links to me at rohsusa.com and I will put a page up there.

Maybe we need to "push back" harder in these areas to get these practices
stopped - and lets face it, we all know that these things can be stopped -
it is just a matter of refusing as an industry to do business with the
people causing the problem.

The tin industry actually has council meetings about these issues - which is
a positive thing. Maybe if it were a little more open about them it would
help to stop these practices.

Similarly, If you look at the e-waste "recycling facilities" that I linked a
few weeks ago on the Greenpeace website, they are no more than glorified
rubbish dumps where people are trying to scrape a very hazardous living by
recycling the parts using primitive means.

It can be done differently - the first step in the process is to highlight
the issue and make it public. Once it is public, it is under a microscope.
Being under a microscope reduces the desire of the "industry" to do business
with the people exploiting the local people where the tin is being mined/the
electronics re-cycled etc.

Will this stop the tin mining or recycling? - well no but one would hope
that it could move forward under the control (In terms of safety, payment,
and working conditions) of a tin industry oversight committee, and the same
is true of re-cycling, because if there wasn't a recycling industry
management committee a few years ago, I can guarantee there is one now with
all of those recycling fees being paid into escrow accounts in the WEEE
scheme.

Anyway, I started this link to highlight the effect of one aspect of lead
reduction in solder I believe I have achieved that, so I suggest that if you
want a public link page up for these issues send me an email at
[log in to unmask] or link up on your next visit to the pushback web site
http://www.rohsusa.com

One thing I do know - if we don't change things they will remain pretty much
the same. I believe together we CAN change things, and I also believe that
entropy works, so sometimes achieving change is an uphill struggle, but if
it is worth doing, to quote a famous advertisement - JUST DO IT!

John