LEADFREE Archives

May 2006

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
John Burke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Tue, 23 May 2006 07:55:15 -0700
Interesting. I believe the move may be driven more by the soldering support
industry, materials, equipment etc than the OEM.

My reasoning is that anyone that deals with OEM's and contract manufacture
will know about how tenacious they are chasing after the last 0.0001 dollar
price reduction on a component.

How will those same people feel faced with a large increase in returns? Pass
it on to the consumer? I guess - lets see what the outcome is.

One thing is for sure, it is not doing the environment any good and there is
ample scientific evidence to that effect.

I believe that what we have here in the lead in solders legislation is
something that has been an engineering "no brainer" saying for years "if it
isn't broke - don't fix it"

It wasn't - they did - here we are.

Let's see what happens.

John