LEADFREE Archives

January 2005

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Jack Sherman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 6 Jan 2005 10:11:05 -0800
George and colleagues,
apologies, I used the wrong email opttion.
Jack

Jack Sherman  wrote:
George,
I was advised while stationed at a mfg plant in Juarez that Pepto-Bismol is an antidote for one aspect of the Montezuma Revenge.

But to the matter at hand, I hope we are discussing the alloys of SnBi we are testing and using in the solders as well as those that serve to capture our idle thoughts, and that we will map the alloys that NEC as cited, or others use, compared to those potentially included in whatever regulatory affairs become rampant.
Cheers
Jack
Jack Sherman
Involuntarily Retired Materials Materialist,
Motorola Schaumburg

"Carroll, George" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Genny brings up a good point. The papers and books on the subject agree
that SnBi solder joints tend to be as strong and have about the same time to
failure as SnPb. It would appear that there may be some work required
relating to cooling curves as the Bi precipitates from the Sn solvent,
though. Wetting and low flux activity at SnBi soldering temps would seem to
be the biggest factor to consider when trying to implement. If one can
avoid any possibility of Pb contamination - and one is not faced with a high
temperature application, is there a problem? I have a customer application
for which he is very apprehensive regarding the ability of his components to
withstand the extra 30 or so degrees needed for Pb-free and he can tolerate
no silver. If Pb/Ag free components are available, SnBi should be an viable
alternative. With regards to elimination of Bi - why? Bi is used in
medications taken internally and is used in X-ray procedures as I remember.

George Carroll
Process Engineer, Siemens Energy & Automation
P.O. Box 1255
3000 Bill Garland Road
Johnson City, Tennessee 37605
(423) 461-2948