LEADFREE Archives

October 2005

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Thu, 13 Oct 2005 15:39:36 EDT
Hello Werner,
To my limited knowledge, I have not seen thermal cycling acceleration  models
for LF assemblies using SnCu(x), SnAgCuBi, SnBi based solders, or  mixed
assemblies.  I am also unaware of vibration models (as of yet) for LF  assemblies
but there is work in progress on that aswell.

However,  I have seen a dozen+ thermal cycling reliability models for  SAC
assemblies.   In my SMTAI'05 paper (which I sent you an early copy  of in July),
I gave a list of 11 different models that have been developed by  various
organizations for SAC assemblies.  Authors from IMEC also  presented a SAC
crack-propagation model during SMTAI'05, based on detailed crack  growth measurements
 in SAC soldered assemblies.  Many of those models are  strain-energy based,
i.e.:

Cycles to failure or dN/DA (inverse of crack propagation rates)  go as 1 /
[Strain Energy]^m

with exponents m all close to 1 for thermal cycling data.  The latter  fact
is based on correlations of empirical data but agrees with theoretical  /
physics based models for soft Sn-based solders.

All the best,
Jean-Paul

In a message dated 10/13/2005 2:09:30 PM Eastern Standard Time,