LEADFREE Archives

May 2006

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Clif Brick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Tue, 9 May 2006 09:44:29 -0400
Chuck,

On your first point, I view it as fine line between coercion and
exploitation, but perhaps there's not enough basis to make the call.  It
would be very startling to me to find that once these people are in,
that they would be allowed to just walk away.

On your second point, Freedom is worth more than money, so even if he is
worse off, at least he's free to choose.

Third, I have no good information on the rates of pay, perhaps they are
paid a handsome sum for their efforts and the organization that runs the
illegal mines is truly a not for profit looking to help some poor
people. From the photos, it looks like steak, furs and ferraris (and I
don't mean Quala Lampur, I'm referring to the miners).

If I had a business, I'd pay them based on experience and quality of
work, and I wouldn't expect anyone to do otherwise. I would however
provide them a safe place to work. I don't think that's what's at issue.

Regarding deception,  I doubt these people are made aware that the water
from mining will destroy their land and pollute their water, such that
once the mines are used up, they won't even be able to go back to the
subsistence living they had before the mines came in.

And the truth, well I'll leave a strict interpretation of truth to
someone more qualified.

With best regards,

Clif