LEADFREE Archives

October 2005

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
"James, Chris" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Wed, 26 Oct 2005 15:53:17 +0100
Regards,

Chris

Regards,

Chris

-----Original Message-----

From: Leadfree [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Greg Parke

Sent: 26 October 2005 15:23

To: [log in to unmask]

Subject: [LF] WEEE/RoHS implementation questions

Hi All,

I have a few questions regarding the implementation of WEEE/RoHS.  The

questions are focused more on the registration side of the issue versus

the

assembly process side.  I am finding that the implementation on the

assembly

process side is relatively straightforward, but it is the registrations,

bureaucracy, etc that is more difficult to sort out.

1.      It is my understanding that as a producer you only need to

register

in those member states where you have established legal entities.  Is

this

correct?  Are there any exceptions?

[James, Chris] Correct - exception would be if you belong to a

compliance scheme who would register for you

2.      What is the registration process?  Is there a common process or

are

they defined by the member states?  Is there a place where I can find

out

who the registering authority is?

[James, Chris] Nothing common about it! - Try looking in the Perchards

report on the DTi website. At present you can only register per MS.

3.      Do I have to hire a third party in Europe to handle the actual

recycling of equipment?  If so, how is the financial side of the process

handled.  Is money set aside for each unit sold to insure the producer's

obligation?  Could the units be returned to the producer for disposal?

[James, Chris] You might want to look at compliance schemes it could

well be more cost effective than trying to go it alone. It also depends

if your products are business to business or business to household

consumer in some MS - remember all MS can implement differently.

4.      If I decide to take the lead solder for use in network

infrastructure exemption (exemption #7) is there a special registration

process?  Would the exemption need to be filed for each product sold by

the

company or would it automatically apply to all products?

[James, Chris] No there is no registration process. I would however

strongly advise you formally document any such or similar decision

within your company and keep the record available should any authority

question it.

Thanks in advanced for the help.  Also, has anybody out there had any

good

experiences with consultants who have handled the issues above?  If so,

can

you send me their names offline?

----

-------------------------------------

Greg Parke

Senior Manufacturing Engineer

Acme Packet, Inc.

71 Third Avenue

Burlington, MA 01803

781-328-4452 (voice)

781-425-5077 (fax)

603-674-3083 (mobile)

 <http://www.acmepacket.com> www.acmepacket.com

----

-------------------------------------

in

To temporarily stop/(start) delivery of Leadree for vacation breaks

send: SET Leadfree NOMAIL/(MAIL)

Please visit IPC web site

-------

information intended for a specific individual and purpose.  If you are

not the intended recipient, delete this message.  If you are not the

intended recipient, disclosing, copying, distributing, or taking any

action
based on this message is strictly prohibited.