LEADFREE Archives

January 2005

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
David Suraski <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Thu, 27 Jan 2005 16:20:53 -0500
Hi Dave!  No problem- being put on the spot is OK with me.

Yes, if the quantity of Sn/Pb sold significantly decreases there could
be a price impact.  It's just my opinion that the decrease in the amount
of Sn/Pb solder used will not be significant enough to make this happen
any time too soon.  I could be wrong on this, but I still see many
manufacturers in many parts of the world that are hardly even
considering lead-free at this point- believe it or not.

More importantly, the solder market tends to be a real buyers' market.
If lead remains relatively cheap (which it will), and if someone wants
to buy Sn/Pb solder (which will happen), someone out there will sell it
cheap, which in turn will drive down the selling prices of everyone
else.  A good example of this is the RMA flux example that you bring up.
Yes, these are not nearly as popular as they once were- but they're not
really any more expensive than the much more popular no-clean and water
soluble fluxes. In fact, I would bet that you could go out and buy RMA
paste or flux cheaper now than you could 5 or 10 years ago.  Bad for us,
good for you.

Dave