IPC-600-6012 Archives

June 2006

IPC-600-6012@IPC.ORG

From:
Lee parker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Combined Forum of D-33a and 7-31a Subcommittees)
Date:
Fri, 2 Jun 2006 12:04:09 -0400
Chris

In the paper referred to below I demonstrated that the shear component of
the peel rupture is of the same order of magnitude as the tensile component
and that both stress are dependent upon the local radius of curvature at the
rupture point; which is not controlled. This paper also contained numerous
examples of the inadequacy of the peel test to discriminate between
acceptable and unacceptable bonding of copper foil to substrate. When
failures occur due to thermal expansions etc The rupture stress is entirely
shear ( again see the paper). What is needed is a test that simulates this
condition. The T260 test is a good beginning, but has other issues.

Best regards

Lee

J. Lee Parker, Ph.D.
JLP Consultants LLC