IPC-600-6012 Archives

June 2006

IPC-600-6012@IPC.ORG

From:
Lee parker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Combined Forum of D-33a and 7-31a Subcommittees)
Date:
Fri, 2 Jun 2006 17:09:52 -0400
Franklin

To the contrary, I originally became interested in this issue because the
peel strength of copper treated with brown oxide and laminated to a
substrate was generally a good deal less than that of black oxide. The
assembly and field performance on a whole was the same for the two
treatments; they both performed well.

When the same comparison was made using the T260 test similar results were
obtained. As I showed in my analysis, the T260 test only generates a shear
stress which is the case when the board or panel undergoes a free expansion
such as in reflow. The peel test always generates both a shear and a tensile
stress. As we all learned in our initial materials course, the shear rupture
strength of most any material is considerably different from the tensile
rupture strength. Consequently, it is very important to use a test that
produces the type of stress that will be encountered in the field.

Best regards

Lee

J. Lee Parker, Ph.D.
JLP Consultants LLC