IPC-600-6012 Archives

May 2006

IPC-600-6012@IPC.ORG

From:
"Constantino J. Gonzalez" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Combined Forum of D-33a and 7-31a Subcommittees)
Date:
Wed, 31 May 2006 07:29:17 -0600
Taking advantage of the question regarding peel/bond strength, I would like
to ask a question on the same line, Surface Mount Pads, mainly dummy BGA
Pads, lift very easy during removal/cleaning of solder left after removing
BGA, & more with Lead free. This is a major problem today with BGA & Lead
Free. Question, Should be a requirement for BGA Pads [lead free PCBs] to
withstand a X amount of temperature during the removal of the solder? Does
dummy pads should be replaced if lifted? I personally do not see why should
we? They are not connected. Curiosity? What holds the SMT, BGA pads to the
surface of the PCB? Glue?

Regards from your,
Constantino J. González
President / Consultant Engineer