IPC-600-6012 Archives

April 2007

IPC-600-6012@IPC.ORG

From:
Susan Hott <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Combined Forum of D-33a and 7-31a Subcommittees)
Date:
Wed, 18 Apr 2007 10:50:47 -0400
Greetings to all
I would like to start a discussion of the Thermal stress testing called for in para 3.6.1 of IPC-6018 (HDI).  It states

Printed boards using HDI shall be preconditioned and tested in accordance with IPC-TM-650, Method 2.6.8, Test condition B (500F).  The number of cycles shall be 5 (unless limited by the number of stress cycles acceptable for the core board).

So - we get in coupons or boards that have both through hole and HDI construction.  We have been performing the above test on the area containing the HDI holes and then the regular 2.6.8 (550F/10 sec/1 time) on the area containing the through holes.

That really doesn't make much sense to me, since I don't think the boards will be assembled in the same manner.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.  My intent is to try and have the two documents agree and not have such different tests for the same board.

Susan

Susan Hott
President
Robisan Laboratory, Inc