ENVIRONET Archives

May 2002

EnviroNet@IPC.ORG

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Environmental Issues <[log in to unmask]>, Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 May 2002 15:56:55 +0300
Edward

Yes, this is the right place to ask, but I'm not sure that I have an
answer! The following is a handful of thoughts to start the debate.

Ideally, all metals should be recovered for recycling. That is the easy
part! As for the dust/swarf, this has been used as filler for asphalt
for roads (also finely chopped laminate). The sheet material is much
more controversial, mainly because of the TBBPA added to the prepolymer
to render it flame retardant. I think that if it cannot be used as is
(e.g. for clipboards or golf clubs), it could be landfilled provided the
landfill never catches fire, releasing the bromine as hydrobromic acid.
The most elegant way is incineration in an incinerator equipped with
scrubbers and precipitators to eliminate all the noxious and corrosive
compounds that can result.

Best regards,

Brian