DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

March 2016

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Jack Olson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Wed, 16 Mar 2016 16:37:23 -0500
Thanks for taking the time to respond.

I don't think you can use the Saturn ToolKit or any other Trace Width
calculator to estimate spoke widths, because the formulas are determining a
relationship between the current, the copper cross-sectional area, and the
corresponding heat rise. These calculators make an adjustment for the heat
sinking ability of a NEARBY plane. What you have in a thermal spoke is an
extremely short trace DIRECTLY CONNECTED to a heat-sinking plane, which
changes everything (at least it is not accounted for in the calculators)

For an example, I might have a plane that is an inch wide (3oz) carrying
45A, (which fits the Saturn calculator results), but the thermal spokes
connecting the pin to that plane do not need to be an inch wide, do they?