DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

March 2010

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Andy Kowalewski <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 31 Mar 2010 10:15:24 +1030
 I've been a very happy Altium user now for about a year and a half.
It has a design rules driven paradigm that's exceptionally powerful
once you understand the thinking and the syntax. Autorouter sucks but
is good for fairly simple, non-tight boards. Interactive router is
brilliant, with features that will make your hair stand on end with
delight. And there are new features planned that do even better.

 Schematic and board integration is brilliant. Library control very
good, and can be based on company databases. Also has links to Digikey
and that is something to see, big time good stuff.

 Layout tools are very powerful and can do anything, almost. Easy to
use, many options for tweaking. So good.

 Support is nothing short of excellent. Bugs get fixed very quickly.
User forum very active, with Altium staff usually participating in
real time (Australian East Coast time). Suggestions go into a
suggestion bucket for future consideration.

 Altium the company itself is solid. I've had a fair bit to do with
their Head Office at various levels and I'm impressed with their
customer driven attitudes.

 I'd buy it again in a heartbeat.

 Andy Kowalewski
 AdvantagePCB

 On Wed 31/03/10 8:10 AM , Jack Olson [log in to unmask] sent:
 I'm tempted to buy a seat of Altium for home use, but in order to get
the "amnesty" pricing I need to make a decision sooner than I
intended. (like tomorrow!)    So, I was hoping to lean on any of you
out there willing to voice an opinion (privately if you prefer) if
this is a good product, as I'm reluctant to buy into a system without
some asssurance that the company has a solid future.    Any satisfied
customers out there willing to speak up and calm my nerves? Any horror
stories?    It looks fairly full-featured... Any severe limitations?
 thanks, Jack
text in the BODY (NOT the subject field):
 SIGNOFF DesignerCouncil
 To temporarily stop/(start) delivery of DesignerCouncil for vacation
breaks send: SET DesignerCouncil NOMAIL/(MAIL)
 Search previous postings at: http://listserv.ipc.org/archives [1]
 Please visit IPC web site
http://www.ipc.org/contentpage.asp?Pageid=4.3.16 [2] for additional
information, or contact Keach Sasamori at [log in to unmask] or
847-615-7100 ext. 2815

Links:
------
[1] http://listserv.ipc.org/archives