DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

October 2004

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
"Brooks,Bill" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Tue, 19 Oct 2004 12:10:15 -0700
Cool!  Maybe we can collaborate on a design that incorporates it...

Just make sure they credit the DC and these great designers for the ideas...
Some contributions to the DC in the form of royalties would be very nice...
Heheh... A new laptop wouldn't hurt either.. LOL
Just kidding.. :)

Let me know if they think it's a viable product to use in the tracking of
things like laptops or PDA's and cell phones.. etc... It might be just the
thing for this sort of product... If it's pricey, maybe they could make a
low cost version for consumer products... I was looking up some circuit
diagrams for remote car alarm systems, there are a lot of published circuits
available for devices like that...

This really shouldn't be too hard to prototype... The costs in packaging it
would be a little more significant... I know a great injection molding place
in Los Angeles called Accent Plastics that could manufacture the molded
package for the clicker, they do a lot of work for us here at Titan
already... and some sort of integration plan would have to be developed to
make it fit in any laptop... maybe as a external wireless device or plugged
into a slot inside the computer. Hard to say, there are a lot of laptop
manufacturers, and they all are somewhat different inside... though it might
make sense to sell it to an OEM like Dell, or Sony or some big manufacturer
and have it designed into the Laptop up front... a nice edge over their
competition to be able to offer that feature... eh?

I really think we could do this...Of course someone will probably go off and
design and build it without any of us seeing a dime... but hey... it happens
all the time, right? (grrr) But, what can you do... at least folks won't
have to go through the loss I experienced again. That would be best of all.
Of course if they want to hire me to design the boards or the packaging and
give me some of the royalties... I wouldn't mind that either... (and then I
woke up, LOL) Okay back to real life...

Best regards,

Bill Brooks - KG6VVP
PCB Design Engineer , C.I.D.+, C.I.I.
Tel: (760)597-1500 Ext 3772 Fax: (760)597-1510
http://www.dtwc.com
http://pcbwizards.com