DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

January 2005

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Roger Gathright <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Roger Gathright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jan 2005 12:15:08 -0800
----- Original Message -----
From: "George Patrick" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Friday, January 07, 2005 11:40 AM
Subject: Re: [DC] Patent No.: US6,617,529 B2

> Does anyone else on this forum think it ought to be open season on
Lawyers
> :)

How about a bounty on their ears?

I worked in one place where they were sued for including a "Mounting
Bracket" in the product for mounting it in a car.  They said that it
"Violated their patent" on a product which operated on completely
different principals, and our company patent on the product predated
theirs by ten years!  Their Attorney suggested in court that since
the brackets both were secured by screws, it was clearly a violation.
Ya, Sure!

Shouldn't prior art invalidate this one?  Never heard of a patent for
a product which did not perform a useful function if it was made
alone.  This patent only applies to through hole products, and the
function of the product is not in violation!   Just My take!