DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

May 2005

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
"Nick Ban (PCBL)" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 12 May 2005 10:43:25 -0500
  Chris said:
  "For the free publicity, Nick, you're welcome."

I noticed this IPC-PCBL issue was only brought up by individuals at
companies who haven't invested in the 7351 tools. What I find VERY ironic is
although these companies haven't invested in the 7351 tools, they are paying
their staff for the time they take to help publicize PCBL. I really don't
know who to thank more - you, or your companies?

  Chris said:
  "The point was raised that IPC is not a government agency and
   that even the IRS tells you about tax software. That's true.
   If they'd partnered with TurboTax up front, TaxCut would
   probably have had a much harder time establishing a client
   base when they came along, but OK, enough of that."

If I can build a bridge between this analogy - keep in mind that the IRS
doesn't have the need to distribute library to go with the 7351 standard, as
would be expected by most users of the standard.

   Brent replied:
   "My understanding is you are only questioning the rational
    to why IPC is bundling a vendor's product with a standard
    .....Good question."

See my comment above. If IPC didn't package the Viewer with the standard,
those who bought the IPC-7351 would be asking, "hey, where's the
documentation?". Perhaps IPC should have just referred its customers to
download the software from PCB Libraries' website? Wait, no - that would
have been bad, too. It seems that to some people, no matter what, IPC would
have out of line.

Nick