DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

July 2003

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
"Brooks,Bill" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Mon, 14 Jul 2003 12:07:40 -0700
I think the assumption is generally correct. RF follows the path of least
Impedance. Regardless of the plane's function, if there is a return path of
lower impedance, the RF will find it and use it. You have better control
over the impedance value (50 ohms if that is your target) if the return path
and dielectric are controlled and their stack up is such that there is not a
lower impedance path through the power planes or some other feature on the
board.. shielding will most likely be required between potential low
impedance paths for the matched impedance lines.. Closer or farther, the
return path follows the path of least impedance.

Bill Brooks, CID