DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

November 1999

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Bob Landman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bob Landman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Nov 1999 18:41:49 -0500
I have a comment also.  This is often done but I don't have any
calculations to back up the practice.  It seems to me that this
surface, whether 1 oz or 2 oz or whatever, is a black body radiator
and that is what is "cooling" the heatsink tab on the regulator.  It
isn't convective cooling so putting holes in the plane makes matters
worse as you have reduced the surface area of the radiator.  The
surrounding enclosure and other parts are at a LOWER black body
temperature, presumably, than the heatsink tab and the plane (assuming
a good thermal contact between tab and plane using thermal grease or a
SIL pad) so would absorb heat and lower the plane temp.

Doug Brooks: what do you think is the predominate effect?

Regards,

Bob Landman
H&L Instruments