DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

August 2006

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Gary Ferrari <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 23 Aug 2006 13:12:43 -0400
Gary,

Information on breakaways in the current standards are there for
reference of the important criteria for breakaway design. The actual
configuration is, of course, design specific and needs to be shown on
the master drawing. You should consult with your board suppliers for
recommendations based on the type of material used and thickness. They
have seen many configurations and usually can recommend something that
will meet your requirements. Also remember, you are the one that knows
what components need close-by support for a tab. You are the one that
also knows the stresses that are placed on the board during component
mounting. The board fabricator only sees the bare board. Lastly, I am
looking to expand this area in IPC-2221 at the next revision.

Summary recommendation, show the exact configuration you desire on the
master drawing.

Regards,

Gary Ferrari
FTG Circuits