DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

August 2008

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Ioan Tempea <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Fri, 22 Aug 2008 10:40:44 -0400
Susy,

Automating the skipping of x-outs is easy to do, but there are other aspects also, like the wasted solder paste, that you print even on the bad boards, the time wasted to sort and group the panels with similar positions of the x-outs, handling more inventory, disposing of the bad PCBs, etc.

Of course 0 x-outs is not realistic if you want cost reductions. On the other hand, 10% might be too much.

Here's what we specify

*	The metrics for calculating the acceptable quantity of X-outs is the number of panels having defective units per lot.
*	No panel shall contain more than 10% or 1 defective units, whichever applies.
*	Not more than 5% of the total quantity of panels per lot is allowed to have x-outs.
Example: for a lot of 1000 PCBs panelized 20-up, only 50 X-outs are allowed, not more than 2 X-outs per panel, for a maximum of 50 panels that can have a defective unit.

Regards,

Ioan