DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

April 2008

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Jack Olson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Fri, 25 Apr 2008 10:35:10 -0500
You won't find a spec that says non-functional lands *shall not* be removed.

The IPC's postion is that if you think it is okay for the fabricator to
remove
them, they are not going to argue with you about it, but it has always been
their position that they *should* be retained.

but...

If you decide that they can be removed with no detrimental effects, you
still
need to have them in the coupon so measurements can be made.

If you want to retain them for hole reliability, you have to say it in a
note
(I think... Does anyone disagree with this?)

There's plenty more discussion about why they should be removed or retained,
but you didn't ask that, so I assume you know the issues and were just
asking
about the IPC specification
onward thru the fog,
Jack