DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

June 2006

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
"Brooks,Bill" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Wed, 14 Jun 2006 09:40:04 -0700
Hi Billy,

Hmmm... Do you mean that he wants to put uneven support under the board and
warp the board down to the uneven surfaces with the fasteners or screws,
leaving the assembly under compressed tension sort of like a catapult being
restrained from releasing its projectile? (not a great design practice)

I would tend to think under certain circumstances you might be able to
tolerate 'some' of that but in the extreme the laminate and the components
on the surface of the board would also be stressed the closer to the induced
warp that they were located near causing the high probability that they
would crack, fatigue, or damage the solder joint or material or degrade the
adhesion of the copper pad the part was soldered to the epoxy laminate...
not to mention the interlayer stresses between layers... but that really is
a judgment call by the designer and mechanical engineer...based upon their
knowledge of the design and the environment and stresses that the assembly
will be exposed to.

If they are concerned about it I would suggest that they consider reviewing
some options to even out the height of the mounting surfaces... (like using
shims or washers or something) to reduce the induced warp of the assembly
under tension and avoid stressing the board like that. Rigid board material
was designed to be flat...

Fiberglass laminate can take some tension but I don't remember getting any
data on how much... you may be forced to do some empirical studies on the
material you are using to determine the maximum tension the material can
take and then de-rate it for your particular application.

Another option might be a rigid flex design that could conform to the uneven
mounting points... :)

Best regards,

Bill Brooks
PCB Design Engineer, C.I.D.+