To:     Users of NASA Space Flight Hardware Workmanship Standards
From:   GSFC/300.1/HEI/Garry McGuire

Subject:        Status of NASA Workmanship Standards as of November 9, 1999

1.      NHB 5300.4(3A-2) was cancelled effective 12/97.  The current workmanship standard for hand or wave soldered electrical assemblies is NASA Technical Standard NASA-STD-8739.3; Soldered Electrical Connections.
2.      NAS 5300.4(3G-1) was cancelled effective 2/98. The current workmanship standard for wiring space flight hardware is NASA Technical Standard NASA-STD-8739.4; Crimping, Interconnecting Cables, Harnesses, and Wiring.
3.      NHB 5300.4(3H) was cancelled effective 2/98. The current workmanship standard for crimping electrical contacts onto space flight wiring harnesses is NASA Technical Standard NASA-STD-8739.4; Crimping, Interconnecting Cables, Harnesses, and Wiring.
Note:  The crimping portion of 3H was revised and transferred into the revised cabling standard (#2 above).  The wire wrap portion will not be renewed by NASA.  MIL-STD-1130, Connections, Electrical, Solderless Wrapped  should be used by projects intending to use wire wrap for flight hardware or mission critical ground support equipment.
4.      NHB 5300.4(3I) was cancelled in May of 1996.  Use the Class 3 requirements of IPC-6011, Generic Performance Specification for Printed Boards; and IPC-6012, Qualification and Performance Specification for Rigid Printed Boards.  GSFC Code 303 maintains a supplement to these standards that should be considered by all projects.  Contact the GSFC Code 300 library at (301) 286-7240 and request document S312-P-003, the current revision is “B.”
5.      NAS 5300.4(3J-1) is the current conformal coating and staking standard.
6.      NHB 5300.4(3K) was cancelled in May of 1996.  Use IPC-2221, Generic Standard on Printed Board Design; and IPC-2222, Sectional Design Standard for Rigid Organic Printed Boards.
7.      NHB 5300.4(3L) was cancelled effective 12/97.  The current NASA Technical Standard for controlling electrostatic discharges is NASA-STD-8739.7; Electrostatic Discharge Control (Excluding Electrically Initiated Explosive Devices).
Note:  Changes between the two versions of this document apply only to its structure and numbering format.  There are no technical changes between NHB 5300.4(3L) and NASA-STD-8739.7.
8.      NAS 5300.4(3M), no rev., is the current surface mount technology soldering processes standard.
9.      NASA-STD-8739.5 is the current fiber optics termination standard.
As each new NASA Technical Standard (NASA-STD-8739.*) is released, concurrent with publication will be its availability electronically at the webpage for NASA’s Office of Safety and Mission Assurance at:
http://www.hq.nasa.gov/office/codeq/doctree/doctree.htm
Following this link will take you to a drawing tree containing many NASA documents.  The workmanship standards are in the bottom right corner.  Click on the box for any document to see its revision status or download it in PDF format.
NOTE:  NAS 5300.4(3J-1) and NAS 5300.4(3M) are being restructured into the NASA-STD-8739 series format and will be released as NASA-STD-8739.1 and NASA-STD-8739.2 respectively.  Estimated completion is sometime around January, 2000.
If you have any questions, I may be reached at (301) 731-8624.