    From: Mark Mazzoli <[log in to unmask]>
    To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
    Date: Friday, July 23, 1999 10:28 AM
    Subject: Re: [TN] White Tin land patterns

    I see that Franklin has already answered your question about the white tin chemical reaction and application method. I agree with his caution regarding mask and/or legend peel, having experienced the same thing.  There are ways of fixing the peeling problem without having to change hardener, however. Any PCB shop setting up an immersion tin process needs to perform adequate tape tests and implement controls before adding this process to their Final Finish list.

    As to your other questions, PCB makers differ in their handling of etch compensations.  Some like the designer to add the etch factors up front, but most would probably rather do it themselves.  Because each of us have slightly different processes, material and equipment we may have slightly different needs insofar as etch factors are concerned.  One shop may like to see 1 mil added (for 1 ounce copper surfaces) and another shop may like slightly more or less.  It's all a matter of knowing your own process characteristics.

    I would venture to say that most shops would prefer that etch factors are not added up front.  Most of us would rather do this ourselves.

    Hope this helps a little.

    Mark Mazzoli
    Engineering Manager
    Circuit Technologies