Neil,

I presume from your posting that you are not cleaning after soldering.

I would strongly recommend that you try and keep the amount of flux applied
under some control. As all fluxes leave residues, the way in which these
react can lead to unpredictable or at least undesirable reliability issues.

The NPL in the UK have completed a study which shows the amount of flux
used, grossly affects reliability.

Of course if the product is of low consequence then this may not be
relevant. However, if you are producing something that is HiRel or Safety
Critical, then maybe it is relevant.

Might be a good idea to then validate your production process to yield the
best results and then keep it under control. Try IPC-J-STD-001 Appendix D.
Regards,
Graham Naisbitt

Concoat Ltd
Alasan House, Albany Park
CAMBERLEY GU15 2PL UK

Tel: +44 (0) 1276 691100  Fax: +44 (0) 1276 691227