Mornin!

    We just had vendor in here pitching a "low-temperature rework system" which was intriguing, but too expensive.  He did get me to thinking though, beyond heating ceramic caps before hand-soldering them, it seems like it would be advantageous to pre-heat the board according to the original profile, to below reflow temperatures, then just touch the leads of the part to be reworked with a soldering iron.  The iron would only have to be around 500F to reflow the solder, because it would only have to be heated 20-30 degrees more to reach reflow temperatures.  Is anybody else out there pre-heating boards before rework?  Is it necessary?  Wouldn't this method stress the parts and pads less, because of the slower heat-up?  Is pre-heating the parts enough?  If it is a good idea, is there a cheaper way to do it than buying a $700 pre-heat plate for each rework station?
Hope you all are enjoying as beautiful weather as we are here in Michigan!

-Ryan Jennens
TelGen Corporation