Ok.  Save me from myself.  I see one graph in one article reporting 10 gram bond pulls for thermosonic gold ball bonds on Cu/Ni/flash Pd/flash Au (equal results were reported with Pd thicknesses ranging from 3u" to 20u") and now I want to try it!  This will save me from trading in all my bonders- I am hoping to use this finish on a microvia PCB I am investigating to replace an LTCC (low temp. cofired ceramic) board.

Has anyone tried this?  is there any literature I should reference?  and does anyone have any advice as to stage temp./power (ultrasonic)/force/dwell (time)?  The board might be 1) 9 metal layer polyimide (plasma microvias), or 2) "high-temp" FR4 (175C Tg) with 130C Tg photoimageable dielectric (photo microvia) on top- several microvia layers.

I intend to have the Ni/Pd/Au added to bare copper after I have taken delivery of the boards.

Resp.
Phil Hersey, Carson City Nevada USA