Are we discussing assembly panels or fabrication panels?
If the we are panelizing for assembly then we would need
to have the same panel no matter who the supplier is.
However, if we are specifying a fabrication panel, then we
are generally increasing our costs. The processes are not the
same at all board shops. So the optimum panel at one board
shop could (and often does) increase the wastage at another
shop.

So the importtant distinction to make  is, is it an assy panel
or fab panel ?

Regards;
Tom G.

Taylor, Chris H. wrote:

I must side with the engineer in the requirement to document the
panelization of your PCB in the fabrication drawing. Your assembler
produces the automated pick and place program and the custom fixturing
to assemble your board based on the existing panelized configuration of
your PCB. That data provides fiducial locations, tooling hole locations
and locations of each individual PCB within the panel.
--

--
Tom Garman                  Telephone   614 860 6064