We've just finished a batch of through-hole PCB's, and we're noticing a severe red-brown rust like substance around and on our solder joints.  My theory is that our batch washer cut out during the dry cycle because our boards were fairly wet when checked.  The boards were sitting for an entire weekend in this humid and wet state.  We're using two mixed bed DI columns and get about 8-10 Megaohm water.

Could this perhaps be a lead oxide that formed due to the moist conditions?

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to clean this boards for recovery?  Alpha Metals is suggesting we add a saponifier.

Paul Wareham
DynaGen Systems Inc.