From: [log in to unmask]
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [TN] intrusive reflow and all
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 17:32:53 EDT

Brian -
Oh, lighten up already.
To answer you technical question, for those parts that exceed the weight to
surface area ratio, most people use adhesives.  Of course this entails
additional machine centers (glue dispensor) and operations (adhesive
dispensing and curing).  Some components can't be glued like BGAs, so don't
design them for both sides (this is called DFM).  Of course, you can
differentiate solder them - they're your substrates.  I never said that you
couldn't but for processes I consult on, this would be a last resort in most
applications.
When I, or my fellow consultants (Werner Englemeir, Bob Willis, et al) give
advice, and we sign our names and our consulting firms, yes, it is a mention,
but it is not an advertisement.  We make our livings selling advice - we do
not get salaries from companies we work for, so these are contributions of our
knowledge.  We might list our websites (which contain articles - also free of
charge and usually pertinent to the discussion) or address, and many times we
are contacted "off-line" for additional information.  You  can agree or
disagree with our thoughts and experience.  When other people like Bev, Eddie,
Charles and all give advice, and sign the names of their companies, it is a
credit to their companies that they are who they are.  I think you would do
much better to do the same and quit blatantly plugging your product by name
and model.  If you want to advertise, buy advertising space in the trade
magazines like the real reflow oven manufacturers do.
And that is my final word regarding this mildly entertaining "dialogue" we've
engaged in for the last day or so.  Oh, except for : "pfffffffffft!"
Hey all, have a nice weekend.
Toodles,
Phil Zarrow
ITM Inc.
Durham, NH
www.itm-smt.com
Mastercharge and Visa Accepted !  (hee hee)