Hello All, We have had some limited success in detecting opens at the first level in laminate flip chip applications using CSAM. This was primarily due to the short path (through the back of the chip) which allowed the use of a relatively high frequency transducer that gives enough detail to detect the defects. If the same transducer is used in a BGA application where the path is longer and contains more reflective interfaces as Dave mentioned, the signal will most likely be lost. One variation that may contain some hope is through transmission acoustic microscopy, where the signal is passed throught the package rather than reflected back to the source. I have limited knowledge of this technique, but have been told that it is applicable to BGA's and has adequate detail. Any others heard anything about it? Regards, Rod Martens Hewlett-Packard Co. [log in to unmask] ______________________________ Reply Separator _________________________________ Subject: Re: [TN] Crack detection under BGA? Author: Non-HP-ddhillma ([log in to unmask]) at HP-ColSprings,mimegw4