I think you have not gotten far enough into the minds of a marketer.  Setting
up a separate net for sales pitches would do no good.  The technical crowd,
represented by TechNet, would probably not subscribe or log into such a net.
 We have better things to do.  So the marketers send the message over
TechNet, so they can go directly to their "market".  The only way to stop it
is a few polite messages that this forum is not open to such marketing.  If
the polite messages fail to get the point across, then Spam the fool.

Doug Pauls
CSL