content-type:text/plain;charset=us-ascii mime-version:1.0 Help! The Engelmaier equations used to estimate cycles to failure for leadless SMT components has, obviously, as one of it's terms the CTE of the printed wiring board. I have been unable to obtain information on CTE of printed circuit boards, at least with any confidence, and measuring the CTE after build is too late in the product development cycle. This is cirtical to our applications due to the long thermal cycling requirements of some of our programs (7-15 years). The CTE of the board is effected by: Base Material (Kevlar, Polyimide, G10) Resin Materal Lot Layer count Amount of copper (planes) Heatsink bonding Heatsink bonding material (epoxy, acrylic, thermabond) Heatsink material (aluminum, copper) 1. Has anyone done any testing on CTE of boards as a function of the above? 2. Are there any equations which can be used to predict the CTE of the board and/or heatsink combination? 3. Is there any data on the CTE of boards besides the ranges I have seen in the text books. I am considering running an experiment to determine the effects of these parameters. Would anyone be interested in the data and of course help support the effort with boards, heatsink and bonding? Jim Faris AlliedSignal Aerospace Guidance & Control Systems (201) 393-3779