My two bits .... Along the same lines to what Joyce is saying, hermetic is NOT plastic, gaskets, rubber seals, etc.  By comparison, an all-glass envelope similar to an old-fashioned Edison light bulb is closer to hermetic - depending upon the quality of the glass to metal seals (materials used).

Many people use parylene (NOT hermetic).  I also believe there is a newer coating which essentially uses alumina to create a hydrophobic coating.

Sorry, I'm a purist with too many years with truly hermetic devices - glass to metal seals and metal to metal welds.  NOTHING goes in and NOTHING goes out, if you've done you job correctly.  Everything else is just a matter of time. :-)

Steve