I can confirm Steve C's info that bending the leads can cause microfractures in the glass to metal seal of the TO-5 relays, which can lead to other issues. I worked for CII and its predecessor, Hi-G, back in the 90's. These relays are sealed in nitrogen chambers (relays go in chamber, vacuum pump air out, fill with nitrogen, weld can to header), as oxygen inside the relay can result in aging of the contacts and premature failure.

Each relay was tested for hermetic seal by placing in a helium chamber and then in a helium sniffer to ensure that the hermetic seal was intact.

When I was there we would take a dozen or so relays each week and place them on a several week life testing program at temperature in order to maintain the reliability ratings.

CII used to sell these with a plastic lead spreader and with shorter leads to facilitate mounting to printed circuit boards.

I would give you a few names there to try to contact, but after 20 years I suspect there aren't many of the folks I worked with that are still there.

Blair