Thanks Denis - I've done a bit of research since yesterday, and it appears that heat will indeed be an issue since this particular PCB assembly will go through the lead-free process. I found that there is some R&D going on in the area of hi-temp OSP that will eventually solve the problem. And yes, I will ask the engineer for a data sheet that specifies exactly what he has in mind. Thanks to all who responded.

-----Original Message-----
From: Denis Lefebvre <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Feb 17, 2010 5:06 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [DC] OSP - complete definition?

I'm no expert... but I do know that OSP is NOT heatproof, nor will you find any that is. It's one of the weaknesses of using OSP - you CANNOT bake the boards prior to assembly. It destroys the OSP. I only know this because one of or CM's pre-baked a lot of our OSP boards and they ended up in the scrap bin.

Denis Lefebvre, CID+
PCB Designer
Finisar Corporation
(408)542-3832