Well Said Chris,

One additional note on PCB Maximum Operating Temperature (MOT).  The MOT CANNOT be higher than the Rated Temperature Index (RTI) of the CCL material, but it can be (and usually is) lower, as the PCB manufacturing and assembly process affects the CCL material’s mechanical and electrical propertes negatively.  The RTI of the material (determined by Long Term Thermal Aging LTTA) is the highest MOT rating the PCB can get and this rating does change by thickness of the CCL (especially in a Multilayer).  There are both a Mechanical and Electrical RTI values for CCL materials and the “RTI Rating” of the material is the lower of these two values for each thickness rated.  This RTI rating is intended to relate to the temperature that the CCL material will lose 50% of it’s electrical and/or mechanical strength after 100,000 hours operating at that RTI temperature.

As Chris said, Tg and RTI can be related, but are not always.... There are a number of 170Tg materials that have 120C RTI ratings and all 150Tg materials do not have the same RTI rating.  You will need to research on appropriate material(s).

You can search for all of these numbers, materials and CCL/PCB suppliers using UL’s online database system. Click on the link below to go to the PCB section of the UL web site.  For basic searches you can click the link on the left side of the page which will take you to UL’s online certification directory. For more in-depth searches you can click on the UL IQ database link on the right side of the page.  You have to register with UL to use their IQ database. It is free and if you have a UL file someone at your facility will likely already be registered as a “MyHOME” user (which contains all your own file information in detail).

http://www.ul.com/global/eng/pages/offerings/industries/hightech/printedwiringboards/

Let me know if you have any questions as Microtek Labs is a certified UL agency for the PCB and CCL categories.

Best Regards,

Bob Neves
Chairman/CTO
Microtek Laboratories