Hi Liam,

I’m not exactly sure which perspective you’re looking for.   So below are what I came up with:

1.       What is the biggest business related challenge you face as a designer?

·         As a designer I am often on the sidelines, affected by, or consulting end of the business decisions.

o        Budgets are decided by other departments and sometimes I get to have input.

o        Design criteria is first set by the Marketing group, Mechanical engineers, ASIC engineers, Electrical engineers, Assembly house limits, and Fabricators limits.  Then, as the designer, I make the criteria all work together and play nice before the Purchasing department gets hold of it.

o        Fabrication sales people are constantly contacting me to use them for my product. This is ok.  While most of the time I cannot make the final decision, I can have some input.

o        Assemblers seldom contact me and I always have to hunt them down when I need them for small jobs.  And they are not very responsive to small jobs as it is difficult to set up, find parts, and create tooling at a reasonable cost.

2.       If you are an independent designer/consultant, how do you currently develop the majority of your clients?

·         I am not an independent designer or consultant at this time.  I have been in the past.  At that time, I found word of mouth to be the best tool for obtaining clients.  Many of the other independent designers I know also rely on this.  Organizations such as the IPC DC, IEEE, EMA, and Contract JobHunter are good resources to make contacts.

3.       What online tools, if any, do you use on a regular basis?

·         Jack brought up some great tools.  I use these as well.

4.       What traditional marketing tools, if any, do you use on a regular basis?

·         Again, I have to agree with Jack.  Designers don’t often use a marketing tool.  When I look for clients or jobs, I go to the places I mentioned in #2.

·         If you are looking for “What marketing tools do I use to FIND other SERVICES or DATA…” that’s different.  I use the internet and search for the particular item I need.  Mostly, that’s going to be part data.  Sometimes, technical data on new techniques or advances in fabrication or assembly.

5.       Do you think that the internet is going to play a key role in your business in the future? Why/why not?

·         Yes & No.

·         YES - For technical information, it can be a great resource.

·         NO – I have seen many companies list exaggerated capabilities on their web sites.  They will put the high end maximum cost capabilities and list them like it’s a nominal procedure at nominal cost until you get the real quote.

·         Also, I’m still a little slow at adopting some of the internet tools such as twitter, LinkedIn, and others.  However, I can see that these types of resources are going to become the next “meet & greet” places for making contacts.

I really have to know someone, have recommendations, and try out a product before recommending that our company uses any resource.  Sometimes that carries weight and sometimes it doesn’t.

Good Luck!

Cherie Litson, CID+

PCB Design Tech Lead

SonoSite, Inc.

IPC Certified Instructor

Office: 425-951-1306

Cell:    206-619-8844

SIGNOFF DesignerCouncil
To temporarily stop/(start) delivery of DesignerCouncil for vacation breaks send: SET DesignerCouncil NOMAIL/(MAIL)
Please visit IPC web site http://www.ipc.org/contentpage.asp?Pageid=4.3.16 for additional information, or contact Keach Sasamori at [log in to unmask] or 847-615-7100 ext. 2815