Due to the use of multiple board fabricators, our company does not specify a particular brand name of material.  Rather, we specify our performance requirements needed by the core and prepreg materials.  We continue to transition to SMT boards exclusively, which require two heat cycles – one for SMT and one for wave soldering through-hole parts - but we still have some straight through-hole boards that do not require two heat cycles – only wave soldering.  We find that using the higher Tg material on mixed-tech boards results in better Z-axis expansion performance, less warpage and delamination and using the lower Tg material on through-hole boards reduces cost!

For example our typical Material note on our Fab drawings will read:

COPPER CLAD WOVEN EPOXY E-GLASS, 170C-Tg (MIN), 340C-Td (MIN), UL94V-0, PER IPC-4101/126 (for Through-hole and Surface-Mount designs)

- Or -

COPPER CLAD WOVEN EPOXY E-GLASS, 150C-Tg (MIN), UL94V-0, PER IPC-4101/24 (for Through-hole only designs)

This allows board shops flexibility and more consistent quoting (comparing apples to apples).

I’d be curious to know how other designers specify their material requirements and why.

Thanks,

Steven D. Roy, CID

PCB Designer

Audio Authority Corp.