From: Brooks, Bill [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Friday, September 18, 2009 12:23 PM
To: (Designers Council Forum); Charles Gervasi
Subject: RE: [DC] Open trace

Hi Charles,

If you are measuring continuity between the pads... from the outer surface of the board... and you have an open when there is no readily visible break in the trace... and the trace is on the outer surface of the board .... Then I would look for a micro fracture at the point where the pad intersects the trace or a crack along it that is very tiny... pad to pad on the same surface should connect... but if however you are measuring the open through the plated through hole, let's say to a trace on an internal layer... I would then ask if the board had been exposed to a thermal excursion in excess of the Tg of the material... (which of course would be a common failure point in PTH boards...) you may have a cracked or broken PTH barrel... or a fracture at the point where the PTH meets the trace on the internal layer...

So this prompts a few questions,

How thick is the copper?
I believe it's 1.5oz after plating.
Is the trace on the outer layers or inner layers?
It's a single outer-layer trace with no vias.
What happens if you heat or cool the trace?  If it disconnects with cool... the copper shrinks and might be the cause of the open...
I should have hit it with component cooler before I did my fix.
What sort of environment has the board been exposed to?
It's just been operated in the lab.  I don't think we've done any thermal testing with this board.
Is there a lead soldered into the hole? How does the solder joint look?
Another common failure point is cracking in the solder joint around the lead due to work hardening of the solder from temp cycling... or vibration....
There are through-hole leads mounted in both holes at the ends of the trace in question.  Cold solder joint was my first thought.  The joint looked good, and the first thing I did was reflow both sides and add a bit of solder to be sure.  It had no effect.

Maybe those thoughts will prompt another avenue of investigation...
You may have to section the board's plated through holes to determine the internal condition of the barrels... etc.

Hope you figure it out. :)

Bill