0.1 mm steel or other rolled metal is better than 100 km or more of
silicone or epoxy!!!!!

Water does not pass through polymers but water vapour does; in fact,
they absorb them!

Many years ago (in the 1970s) I did an experiment mentioned in Ch. 30
(protective coatings) of a well-known book. I constructed a Plexiglass
box with two compartments with a 20 mm thick separator with a 100 mm
diam hole. I cast 5 mm thick samples of different coating materials
(silicone, epoxy, polyurethane) by building them up over several layers
and clamped them over the whole with an O-ring to ensure a seal. I
maintained a 95% 40°C atmosphere on one side and a <5% RH on t'other
side, with the help of a phosphorus pentoxide desiccant. After 10 days,
to ensure equilibrium, I weighed the desiccant then again after 5 more
days. The silicone allowed about 1 g of water vapour to pass per day,
the epoxy about 0.022 g and the polyurethane about 0.046 g. I did not do
a control with a metal disc, but I'm sure it would have yielded 0.00
g/day. Note that if I had filled the "wet" compartment with liquid
water, the result would also have been as near 0.00 g as dammit (surface
tension is the secret!).

Brian