IPC is moving into the electronic age and will begin providing our members with a single-user electronic format document with the right to print one copy in place of hard copies as of March 1. Members will receive their copies faster, with no wait for shipping and a smaller carbon footprint.

The copies will come from IPC distributor IHS and will include digital rights management. The electronic copy will be locked to the computer on which it is opened.

If you have any questions, please contact Kim Sterling at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> or +1 847-597-2805.

Members will continue to send e-mails to [log in to unmask] Instructions for downloading will come via e-mail from customer service at IHS.

FAQs regarding Digital Rights Management (DRM):
Digital Rights Management (DRM) is a security feature to help control the electronic delivery of documents and protect intellectual property. Below is an overview of DRM and some of the technologies used for the copyright protection of digital content. Secure documents are encrypted with permissions information and controls that have minimal impact on authorized users of the documents.

The feature uses a free Adobe Acrobat plug-in from FileOpen Systems Inc. You must download the plug-in to access the downloaded secure documents. The free plug-in needs only to be downloaded once on the computer that will be viewing/printing/using the PDF files that have been downloaded.

Where can I access the FileOpen plug-in so I can download my documents?
The responding e-mail will give you a link to download the FileOpen plug-in. You can install the plug-in at anytime before you receive encrypted documents for the first time. You will only need to download the plug-in once.

How does the plug-in work? The plug-in must be installed to open encrypted documents and will read information about your usage rights to access, view, print and work with the document you have received.

What are the restrictions on how I can use my PDF document with DRM? Once you open the secure document, your PDF will be permanently locked to that computer. You may view it as many times as you like and print it once. You will not be able to use the document on another computer, or network it.

Can I use the secure PDF document offline? For maximum convenience, it is recommended customers should use secure PDFs when an online connection is available. PDF documents can be used offline, however, the document must first be opened at least once online (from the same computer you will use offline).

How do I know if the FileOpen plug-in is installed on my computer? Open Acrobat Reader, click on the Help menu and select "About 3rd Party Vendors." If the plug-in is present, FileOpen Web Publisher will be displayed. If is not listed, it is not installed, or your computer may have download restrictions on it. Please contact your Technical Support Department for assistance. Alternatively, by trying to download the plug-in, it will alert you if it's installed.

FileOpen installed correctly but I still cannot view my downloaded PDFs. Make sure that you've saved the PDF to your hard drive, then close all versions of Adobe and the web browser that you are running. Go back and reopen Adobe and open the file that you've downloaded.

Can I download a secure PDF, print it and then make copies for others in my company or department? No. That is a violation of copyright. Documents may be shared or loaned but not reproduced in any fashion.

Are there any special system requirements for the DRM technology to work properly? The plug-in will load on any version of Windows dating back to Windows95, and any version of Adobe Acrobat/Adobe Reader back to version 4.0. The Macintosh client will load in OSX or OS9 with Carbon and the same versions of Acrobat. These client plug-ins are extremely small (approximately 150Kb, 200Kb in an installer), and may be loaded onto a machine without the user requiring Administrator privileges. It also is compatible with all major browser applications. Network Administrators can find further information at www.fileopen.com.

Why create secure PDFs with Digital Rights Management technology? Managing access to documents based on copyright ownership and protecting content rights is imperative to the continued development and distribution of technical documents and standards. Many users simply don't know when they are in violation of copyright laws and this technology protects both the user and the publisher of technical information.