Dear Colleagues,

The many gerber files I have seen can be divided into two categories, according to how the geometrical figures (apertures) of the land patterns are generated:

o        Apertures declared as stand alone geometrical figures (e.g. a rectangular 100x200 pad is declared as a 100x200 rectangle)

o        Apertures generated by successive positions of a smaller element (e.g. 100x200 rectangle generated by adjoining twenty 100x10 lines)

The second version does not come handy at all when trying to measure the center of an aperture with a gerber viewer.

Questions:

o        How is each of them generated?

o        Are there CAD systems that can only generate the latter?

o        Any precautions that can be taken by the designer so that only the first one be generated?

o        If I want to call each method by its technical name, what would that be?

Thank you,

Ioan Tempea, ing.

Ingénieur Principal Fabrication / Sr. Manufacturing Engineer

30 ans déjà! - Already 30 years!

950 rue Bergar, Laval, Québec, H7L 5A1

t : 450-967-7100 ext : 244

Mtl : 514-990-5762

f : 450-967-7444

www.digico.cc

P N'imprimer que si nécessaire - Print only if you must