You're correct, Standards development has absolutely nothing to do with the Designer's Council or local chapters.
.
Who is working on keeping them alive and insuring that they are correct?
Hundreds of people like me.
a lowly volunteer who makes an effort to show up at the meetings and call into the conference calls.
.
Have there been any active groups making or suggesting changes or amendments?
Yes. you can find a list of the groups here, but not how many people are participating in each group.
http://www.ipc.org/Status.aspx
.
Just for the record, I remember Mike Jouppi asking this list for help for a new document titled
"Current Carrying Capacity of Printed Boards"
Did any of you volunteer?
nope.
How do I know?
because I'm the only only one that DID volunteer.
.
I'm not typing this out to blow my own horn,
because I'm truly "the new guy" in these development meetings.
I'm saying it on behalf of SO MANY people who have been devoting time to this for YEARS

I realize its hard to imagine everything going on behind the scenes,
but you would be surprised how many people are involved,
sometimes over a hundred people all discussing one simple paragraph of an acceptance document.
and you know what? Hardly ANY of them are designers.
(I think I was the only designer at the last meeting of the IPC-222x DESIGN document)
You know who IS at the DESIGN document meeting?
Mostly Fabricators and Assemblers who are hoping you can learn how to design better!
.
So, next time you're at APEX or IPC MidWest, take a break from collecting trinkets
on the show floor, and walk into one of the meetings where the work is getting done.
They are open to ANYONE
.
As for the question about CID modules, Here is an invitation
(If you didn't get one, it may be that you've never expressed an interest in helping)
.
So, here's your invitation:

===============================

To: All members of the Design community
Subject: Call for Participation - Focus Module Development

Dear Colleagues,

As many of you know, we have updated the Basic and Advanced Designer Certification training materials, and it is now time to move to the next phase of professional development. Your Education Committee has authorized development of the High Speed – High Frequency Focus Module for Certification.

Professor Rainer Thueringer, University of Giessen, Germany has already prepared several chapters of the information to be studied. He also helped to define the 32 topics to be covered in the two days of training review that make up a Certification Workshop. Now we need your input in order to move forward, so that the whole training module has a cohesive structure.

Here is your chance to participate. We are planning nine working weekends in order to prepare the syllabus, followed by five weekends to develop the questions and answers to be used in the exam. Each meeting will build on the previous effort. We will then schedule beta test sessions to fine-tune the relationship between study material and exam.

This is a great opportunity for professional development: build your credentials, collaborate with other industry experts, and make a real contribution to the Design community. Volunteers will receive credit in the published materials, as co-authors of a particular section and/or as general contributors.

Designers who volunteer should have ideas about content for at least one of the 32 areas covered in the following Course Outline. Background in signal integrity and high speed issues is most helpful. Volunteers may attend the working sessions in person or via teleconference. You may also send in your existing articles and/or presentations, with authorization for use in the Focus Module. Feel free to bring in colleagues with expertise in any of the areas covered by the Course Outline.

The following dates and locations have been suggested. They are coupled to scheduled IPC events in each area, but we are open to suggestions for alternate sites. Please review the list below, and let us know how you can participate by November 15, 2008.

Study Guide Preparation: 2009 Working Sessions

January 17-18 Orlando, FL
January 31-Feb 1  Austin, TX
February 14-15 Phoenix, AZ
February 21-22  Irvine, CA
March 14-15 Bannockburn, IL
April 18-19 Boston, MA
May 16-17 San Jose, CA
June 6-7      Toronto, Canada
June 20-21    San Diego, CA

2009 Test Question Preparation: Study Guide Review and Modification

July 25-26 Raleigh , NC
August 7-9  Seattle, WA
August 22-23  Bannockburn, IL
September 12-13  Philadelphia, PA
October 10-11 San Francisco, CA
October 24-25 Irvine, CA

2009 Beta Testing
November 9-11     [Beta #1]   Seattle, WA
November 12-14   [Beta #2]   Phoenix, AZ
November 19-21   [Beta #3]   Fredericksburg, VA
December 3-5       [Beta #4]   San Diego, CA

2009 Beta Test Results analysis and modifications
December 7-9            Beta Analysis  in Bannockburn, IL

To volunteer, contact IPC Professional Development:
[log in to unmask]  or +1 847 597 2827.

We look forward to hearing from you, and will keep you informed about progress in the development of this new Designer Council Certification activity.
Best regards,
Dieter Bergman
IPC Director of Technology Transfer

Course Outline: Certification Focus Module for High Speed - High Frequency

DAY  1

BASICS OF HIGH SPEED

ELECTRICAL  REQUIREMENTS

BOARD  CHARACTERISTICS