Well, about 30 minutes ago I got off a "Chapter Leadership Interchange Teleconference"
with Jean, Anne Marie, Lauren (or was it Tina?), Dieter and FOUR chapter leaders,
including myself. Let me write that again... FOUR chapter leaders!

With all the brew-ha-ha on this forum over the last couple of days I certainly expected
more of the chapters to have representation. What happened to everybody? It was a
tele-conference which means (for most) you can sit at your desk and participate while
you do some work (assuming you are capable of multi-tasking :-)

OK, so for those of you that are not Chapter Leaders, when was the last time you got
out and supported your local chapter?

Let me now target those of you who live in the Silicon Valley/San Francisco Bay area
or even Central/Northern California... are you active with our chapter? What would get
your attention and inspire more enthusiasm with the Silicon Valley Chapter?

Feel free to write me individually or share your comments on this forum.
Consider this a Roll Call request... or a chance to inquire about becoming a member.

I leave you all with the following from the IPC Designer Council website:

What Is It?

The IPC Designers Council is an international network of designers. Its mission is to promote printed board and printed board assembly design as a profession and to encourage, facilitate and promote the exchange of information and integration of new design concepts through communications, seminars, workshops and professional certification through a network of local chapters.

The goals of the IPC Designers Council are to:

  • improve communications
  • provide designers a greater role in standards development
  • improve educational opportunities for designers
  • improve the recognition of the printed circuit board design profession

The Designers Council Charter

To encourage, facilitate, coordinate and promote the orderly interchange and integration of design concepts concerning printed board, printed board assembly, and related technologies through communication, seminars, workshops, local, national and international chapter programming, and other means.

The Designers Council Objectives

  • Promote and disseminate information regarding current activities and new developments in design technology.
  • Encourage and develop coordinated input and response to existing and proposed design related standards and publications.
  • Achieve maximum industry awareness of design standardization issues in printed board, printed board assembly and related design technologies.
  • Encourage and coordinate the compilation of design information including equipment, equipment capability (tools and technologies) and related information.
  • Increase the industry awareness of the role that printed board designers play in the product development cycle.
  • Establish a formal education structure and certification program to ensure designer competency and consistent design standards.
  • Facilitate the participation of suppliers and OEMs in the designer education and designer profile elevation process.
  • Stimulate communications among printed circuit board designers and others in related engineering disciplines.

There is also a brief history: http://dc.ipc.org/aboutDC.htm

Bob McCreight
Silicon Valley Chapter

~  ~  ~