OOps.

rough estimating?   more like rough conversion, rough typing, rough day....

yes, there really is at least 8.2 microinches of gold on the board in some areas.

no, that doesn't "=" the solder paste thickness, which is 6 mils.

But the curiosity is still as indicated - maybe that thick gold was enough to
mask the grain of the nickel and make it look like hard gold, and I wonder how
much gold is ending up in that solder joint, and what problems I might have.

I'm probably reaching, but I don't know what it's going to take to convince
purchasing that cheap boards cost money.  Is there something in such a
variable and thick gold surface that would help indicate a high reliability risk?  I
think it's getting where I need to show them a black/white answer whether
these boareds will fail or not.